Is your glass half-empty or half-full? And no…we don’t mean hot cocoa!
How you answer this may depend on many factors, but we at Tallahassee Memorial consider it crucial to your health. Through our TMH FOR LIFE program — a health initiative created to help our community be the healthiest in the nation — we are reminding you to be active, eat healthier, know your numbers and find your happy! The majority of these are commonly associated with health, however many do not recognize happiness as a core component to reach wellness goals.
The benefits of positive thinking may provide:
- Increased life span and lower rates of depression.
- Lower levels of distress.
- Greater resistance to the common cold.
- Better psychological and physical well-being.
- Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
- Better coping skills during hardships and stress.
How can you find your happy?
- Take at least 5 minutes each day to focus on your breath. Sit quietly, breathing in and out deeply and slowly. Focus on the air entering and leaving your body.
- Spend time with people you enjoy. Remove yourself from negative people in your life.
- Laugh on purpose.
- Sign up to volunteer somewhere that aligns with your personal beliefs and values.
So before you decide to act like a Grinch this holiday, remind yourself to be merry, and bright!