Ever wonder how you could positively impact the food supply chain? This year’s National Nutrition Month ® theme is Going Further with Food, in simpler terms, this means- learning to reduce food waste and plastic, make healthy eating easy, and saving money! One of the ways you can do this is by meal planning which is a great habit to start making a part of your routine!
What is meal planning? Well, it all depends on what you have time to do and what is most convenient for you! Below are some suggestions on ways to add meal planning to your daily life-
- Look at the grocery store coupon deals and get ideas for recipes based off the foods you find on sale.
- Create a grocery list around the five food groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy). Resources available at: ChooseMyPlate.gov.
- After food shopping is complete try- prepping, cooking, and storing the food so when it is time to put together meals they will be ready.
- Try prepping healthy snacks in to-go containers to make choosing a healthy choice easier the next day. Examples include: hummus and chopped veggies, carrots and light ranch, sliced apples and peanut butter, crackers and cheese.
- Get creative and look up recipes that have similar ingredients to simplify your grocery list to help you eat more nutritious and save you money.
Remember- the above suggestions are there to help you meal plan, even trying one out the 5 ideas will help you make steps towards a healthier lifestyle!
For example, do you have carrots on the shopping list for that Easter time carrot cake? Go further with those carrots by adding this Asian cucumber and carrot salad as a side dish to your Easter meal. This is a great way to incorporate some healthy vegetables on this holiday and to balance out all the Easter candy! Cucumbers are excellent for hydration and helping with digestion. Carrots are high in antioxidants which helps lower risk of chronic disease as well as helping keeping your eyes and skin strong and healthy. This quick and easy recipe will be a great addition to your Easter meal. For more recipes go to: mindful.sodexo.com.
Asian Cucumber and Carrot Salad
Ingredients: Serves 4
- Cucumbers, fresh – 1 cup
- Carrots, Julienne, fresh – 1 cup
- Onions, green fresh (scallions) – ¼ cup
- Cilantro, fresh – 1 ½ tsp
- Rice vinegar, unseasoned – 2 ½ tsp
- Honey – 2 ½ tsp
- Sesame seed oil – 1 ¼ tsp
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- In a bowl, combine cucumbers, carrots, scallions and cilantro
- In a separate bowl whisk together the rice wine vinegar, honey, sesame oil, salt and pepper
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
|Calories: 50||Carbs: 10 g||Fat: 1 g||Fiber: 2 g|
|Sat. Fat: 0 g||Cholesterol: 0 mg||Sodium: 90 mg|