Today’s recipe, the portobello mushroom and egg bake, is great for anyone that wants a hearty but healthy high protein breakfast. Have you ever thought to increase your vegetable intake by adding them to your breakfast? This recipe incorporates a variety of superfood vegetables such as kale, mushrooms and red pepper for a savory breakfast.
Red pepper is another vegetable with wonderful superfood benefits. Due to their high vitamin content red peppers promote healthy skin and boost immune function.
Portobello mushrooms are a hearty with a firm texture and meatier taste than standard white or canned mushrooms. They contain significant vitamins and antioxidants that help decrease inflammation and may help decrease cancer risk. If you haven’t tried portobello mushrooms before, take the challenge to give this tasty superfood vegetable a try. To prepare them for this dish, trim the stem and wash them in cool water; there is no need to remove the gills.
This colorful dish provides a variety of superfood benefits. A slice of whole grain bread would compliment this breakfast well. It would also be a great weeknight dinner paired with pesto pasta or garlic bread.
Portobello Mushroom & Egg Bake
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- ½ small onion minced
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby kale
- ½ roasted red pepper chopped
- ½ oz goat cheese
- 2 large eggs
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or baking dish.
- Roast mushrooms – gill side up in preheated oven for 10minutes .
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until soft, add garlic, and spices, cook until fragrant.
- Add kale and roasted red pepper heat until kale wilts.
- Mix in goat cheese.
- Top roasted mushrooms with the kale mix, leaving an open space in the center.
- Crack an egg into the center of each mushroom.
- Bake for an additional 20min.
- Serve with fresh herbs and whole grain crusty bread.
Nutritional information per serving:
- Total Calories: 233 kcal
- Total fat: 13gm
- Fat: 3g saturated
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 196 mg