The 2020 holiday season is a lot different than in years past. Maybe you’ve always travelled to celebrate with out of town family but this year COVID-19 has put those plans on hold. Maybe you normally celebrate locally with a huge family gathering that’s now been postponed. It’s disappointing to not be able to be with loved ones during this time. However, the safest way to celebrate the holidays this year is to celebrate at home with the people in your household.
While the holidays will be different this year, there are some activities that can lift your spirits during this season. Here are some tips you may find helpful:
- The holiday season is the perfect time to start a new tradition that will live on for years to come. It can be anything from a special dish you cook every holiday to baking a gingerbread house or binge-watching holiday movies with your family (with the necessary popcorn and snacks!).
- Scale down your holiday plans. Ponder what you really want to do to celebrate. Give yourself permission to let go of old traditions that no longer have meaning for you.
- Talk with family members about what they would like to do. They may come up with some creative ways to celebrate that you haven’t considered!
- Start holiday planning and preparations earlier. This will eliminate that last-minute rush to get everything ready.
- Cut down your gift list. Whether it means cutting down on gifts for extended family or friends, be aware that some of your loved ones may be on a tight budget this year and aren’t able to give at the same level as before.
- Think about making homemade food gifts to save money or consider giving gift cards to save precious time and energy.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine use to reduce stress.
- Use portable relaxation or meditation props, like a favorite image on your smart phone or tablet. Just 5-10 minutes of deep breathing at a time can make a noticeable difference in reducing stress.
- Finally, acknowledge that everything does not need to be perfect.
We hope these tips help you and your loved ones make this holiday an enjoyable one. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season!
“The joy of brightening other lives becomes for us the magic of the holidays.”W. C. Jones