- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup diced fresh tomato
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh fill or ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce for serving on plate
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Refrigerate for several hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve the salad on romaine lettuce leaves or in whole wheat pita pockets. You may also puree the salad in a food processor to make a chickpea spread.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (serving 1/6 of salad): Calories: 76, Fat: 3g, Saturated fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 112 mg, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 2.5 g.
Recipe provided courtesy of Eat Right Press, from Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for kids and Teens by Jodie Shield, Med, RD, and Mary Catherine Mullen, MS, RD, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2012.