While parents are stressing about money, travel and visiting relatives, children are looking forward to the gifts they have been keeping their eyes on year-round. What many don’t take into consideration is the potential hazards that may come along with these shiny new gifts.
According to the Consumer Product Commission, emergency departments across the US see more than 80,000 children annually, under the age of 5, for toy-related injuries. When shopping for kiddos on the “good list” this year – be sure to put their safety first.
“At Tallahassee Memorial, we see a small spike in children's ER admissions around the holidays, with this in mind, we want to remind parents to look out for toys that have small parts which could pose a choking hazard,” said Colby Redfield, MD, emergency medicine at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare. “Additionally, make sure to provide a helmet or reinforce wearing helmets when purchasing new riding equipment such as bikes, skateboards and rollerblades.”
- Check all recalls when purchasing toys online.
- Pay attention to the recommended age on the packaging.
- If the toy requires batteries, make sure they are secure within the toy and don’t become a choking hazard.
- Ensure you purchase all applicable safety equipment when purchasing items like bikes or roller skates such as a helmet.
- After the excitement of opening presents – make sure each toy has a location to be stored in. Toys often can be tripping hazards if left around the house.
- If you have more than one child, make sure that toys that are inappropriate for the younger sibling are stored in a secure location.
- Review toys for sharp edges and wrapping materials before turning it over for play.
- Periodically check toys for broken pieces to prevent choking.
The Tallahassee Memorial Children's Center
At Tallahassee Memorial, we offer the most experienced pediatric staff in the region, including a team of pediatricians, pediatric specialists, Certified Pediatric Nurses and the Big Bend’s only Child Life Specialist, so you can rest assured that your child will receive the best specialized care. After all, your kids mean everything to you, and that means everything to us. For information on pediatric care at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare, visit TMH.ORG/Children.